Israeli researchers announced Thursday the discovery of an extraordinary 1,500-year-old marble tablet at the Sea of Galilee engraved with religiously significant Aramaic words written in Hebrew letters, which suggests the place was once a Jewish or Jewish-Christian settlement.
The engraved, 59-inch-long tablet was found at Kursi where it is believed Jesus performed the “Miracle of the Swine,” healing a man of the “legion” of demons that had possessed him. On the eastern shore of the Sea of Galilee, Jesus drove the demons into a large herd of pigs, which then rushed off the steep bank and drowned, as told in the Gospel of Mark and elsewhere.
Because the water level of the Sea of Galilee has descended, researchers were able to examine previously submerged areas belonging to what they suggest was the 5th century A.D. Byzantine period Christian settlement. There they found what appeared to be an ancient harbor and the marble slab.
In a statement Thursday, Haifa University said of the inscribed tablet, “Nothing prepared them for the extraordinary discovery.”
Two of the words identified so far are “amen” and “marmaria,” which scholars say could either refer to marble or to Mary, the mother of Jesus.
Read more: The Blaze
- POLL: Does President Trump Need to Apologize to Gold Star Widow Myeshia Johnson?
- UNLEASHED: Jimmy Carter Goes After Hillary, Obama & Russia Scandal — Says Trump is…
- GROSS: He/She Artist Collects 200 Gallons of Urine to Protest Trump — Demonstrates How [VIDEO]
- Disturbing: Grieving Husband Finds Nurse ‘Maintaining Relations’ with His Wife’s Corpse
- After Democrat Attacks Trump, Soldier’s Widow Releases Audio of Phone Call [WATCH]
- WATCH: Jesse Jackson Compares Playing for NFL & NBA to ‘Picking Cotton’
- NBC Gun “Expert” Caught LYING — Was This An Intentional Move To Push Gun Control?
- National Park Service to Give Big Money for Black Panther Monument, Even Though Organization Killed NPS Officer
- WATCH: ‘Palestinian Steve Irwin’ Takes on Giant Snake in Hilarious Video
- WAR ON SPEECH CONTINUES: Conservative Commentator PEPPER SPRAYED At NYU — Professor Says Cops Should BEAT Up ‘Neo-Nazis’
- 20yr-Old Chick Draws Gun on Man Who Ran Over Her Family Members at Funeral
- Robert De Niro Exclaims ‘F**k you, Donald Trump’ During Charity Event — Plans to Prevent the President From…
- For Those of You Who Thought Trump Bankrupted the Secret Service, Here is the Real Story…
- Melania Trump Cuts Pork from First Lady Payroll After Michelle Obama’s Extensive Spending
- Michelle Obama Claims People Don’t Like Her Because of ‘Her Skin Color’
- ‘Mad Dog’ Mattis Issues Statement on North Korea That Makes President Trump’s Look Tame