A British woman has arrived in Kuala Lumpur where she will board a flight home after posing naked on a sacred mountain.
Eleanor Hawkins, 23, and Canadian siblings Danielle and Lindsey Petersen, and Dylan Snel from the Netherlands were sentenced to three days in jail and fined £1,000 earlier today.
As they have already spent three days in custody leading up to the court appearance, they were set to be deported from the country immediately.
Speaking from outside the court, Sky News Asia Correspondent Mark Stone said the four had been “very relieved” on hearing the verdict.
“They didn’t speak to the media but their defence counsel gave us the thumbs-up first and was very pleased,” he said.
Miss Hawkins, who was handed over to immigration officers at midnight, has said she is “pleased and happy” to be returning to the UK.
Her father, Tim, said the sentence was “appropriate and fair for the offence committed”.
“I am grateful that the Malaysian authorities reached this decision,” he said.
“Eleanor knows what she did was wrong and disrespectful and she is deeply sorry for any offence she has caused to the Malayan people.”
Earlier in the morning, a handcuffed Miss Hawkins had arrived outside Kota Kinabalu Magistrates’ Court in a car driven and guarded by men in black balaclavas.
Miss Hawkins, an aeronautical engineering graduate from Derby, was then read the charge that at 6.45am on 30 May she had committed an “obscene act in a public place to the annoyance of others”.
According to Stone, who was in court, Miss Hawkins “was very quick” to plead guilty. The other three tourists then also entered guilty pleas.
The court heard the group had been making a large amount of noise and some had urinated in a pond during the incident, offending tribal elders in the area of Mount Kinabalu.
The tourists were originally accused of telling their guides to “go to hell” when they were warned about what they were doing but the group of four denied this.
Read more: news.sky.com
- Florida’s ‘Teacher of the Year’ Points the Finger at Parents for Mass Shooting Epidemic — ‘Parents, it’s time to step up!’
- Gun-Control Fact Sheet: If There are Any Facts to Refute the Gun-Control Argument, It’s These
- Hundreds of Teachers Sign Up for Concealed Carry Class
- CNN’s Chris Cuomo Tries Peddling False Report on Buying an “AR-15 in Five Minutes”
- No Liberals, America is NOT the Worst Western Country When it Comes to Mass Shootings
- Jennifer Lawrence Has Quit Acting to ‘Save Our Democracy’ from Donald Trump
- Billy Graham’s Final Message to the World Before He Passed Away
- President Trump Believes Teachers Should be Armed to “Immediately” Shoot Sickos — Do You Agree?
- WATCH: Will Ferrell, Kevin Hart and Jimmy Fallon Just Performed the Most Epic Lip Sync Battle
- IT’S RACIST: CNN Anchor Calls for the Removal of the Jefferson Memorial Because…
- President Trump Hammers #MeToo Movement — Do You Agree With Him?
- Lutheran Church Celebrates Transgender Pastor’s Transition, Throws a ‘Renaming’ Ceremony
- Artist Who Painted Obama’s Portrait LOVES to Paint White Women Being Beheaded
- CNN Shocked After Iowa Voters Say What They Really Think About Russia Investigation [Watch]
- The cop-killer bullet myth
- WATCH: California Teacher Calls Military ‘Lowest of Our Low’
- Religion Of Peacer RAPES Little Girl, Years Later She Returns … With A VENGEANCE
- Watch: Laura Ingraham Tells LeBron James to ‘Shut Up and Dribble’ After His Trump Comment