When you ignore all the basic gun safety rules, things like this happen. Now, these parents have a deceased child and another child completely traumatized by this; all because they failed to store their gun in a safe place and keep the chamber empty.
A three-year-old boy has shot dead a one-year-old baby after picking up a gun that had been left lying unattended in a Cleveland, Ohio, home and pulling the trigger, police said on Sunday night.
The child, who has not been identified, fired the weapon after discovering it inside the house in East 63rd Street, where several other children and at least one adult were staying at the time, it is said.
The bullet struck the baby boy in the face. Minutes later, he was rushed to an area hospital, where he was later pronounced dead. It is unclear whether the infant was related to the older boy.
Now, investigators are apparently trying to determine where the gun came from – and the identity of the person responsible for bringing it into the house and leaving it within the toddler’s reach.
Speaking to Cleveland.com, Cleveland Police Chief Calvin Williams said that this person will likely face charges in relation to the shooting, which has shocked residents across the city’s east side.
‘It’s a sad day for Cleveland, Williams told reporters outside the home. ‘This fascination that we have with handguns, not just in this city but in this country, has to stop. This is a senseless loss of life.’
Read more: dailymail.co.uk