“These descriptions are very ugly, it is offensive and an insult to our religion. There is no moderate or immoderate Islam. Islam is Islam and that’s it.” ~ Erdogan, PM of Turkey
Turkey took another step backwards this week … lurching toward Sharia … when 4 female MPs marked the end of a ban enforced since the early days of the Turkish Republic. The female MPs were wearing headscarves, as they walked into Turkey’s parliament in Ankara on Oct. 31st, designating the end of a prohibition vigorously imposed since the dawn of a secular Turkey.
On its face, this step seems harmless … but considering the steps since Erdogan’s reign, it’s anything but benign…
A little on Turkey’s birth as a Republic: The Turkish Republic was founded in 1923, after the fall of the barbaric, Islamic Ottoman Empire. (The Ottoman’s Motto: Devlet-i Ebed-müddet, “The Eternal State” … kind of makes them roommates with the Titanic.) Aside from the millions killed in expanding their Fiefdom … the Ottoman’s were responsible for the death of 1.5 million Armenian Christians, which they ethnically cleansed from their Empire.
But in 1923, a secular Muslim by the name Mustafa Kemal Ataturk became the first President of Turkey. He was determined to modernize the new Republic of Turkey and institute Western social reforms into this fledgling democracy. That meant rolling back the oppressive dictates of Sharia Islamic Law which guided the draconian empire.
All that progress has slowly but surely been chipped away under Erdogan’s Islamist reign. Here’s how the Caliphate-wannabe Erdogan has tried to resurrect the Ottomans:
– He’s utilized Islamist demagoguery to win elections, by intimidating the media and destroying opponents.
– He has gone on a mosque-building rampage, constructing thousands of new mosques in the decade he has ruled. Despite the fact that there are already over 3,000 mosques in Istanbul alone. This is including the world’s highest minaret in Istanbul.
– His brutal response to peaceful demonstrations, injuring over 4,000 a few months ago in Gezi Park. Turkish human rights organizations told Der Spiegel, that he later engaged in a campaign to punish journalists, teachers and activists involved in the remonstrations, arresting at least 3000 people, including children.
– His war on women is really same old, same old under the Quran. In 2010, he stated: “I don’t believe in equality between men and women.” In 2011, Erdogan talked about violence against women and statistics stating that so-called honor killings had increased 14-fold in Turkey from 2002 – 2009. But that, he added, was simply because more murders were being reported, and that there are basically few acts of violence against women.
– Through his now majority Islamist parliament, he spearheaded a new law banning the sale of alcohol at night and near mosques. He said that the original law had been conceived by “a pair of drunks”, meaning Ataturk and his successor Ismet Inonu.
So, where do Jews fare in this landscape of Erdogan?