The U.S. became a net oil exporter to Mexico for the first time in more than 20 years as output from shale fields pushed the world’s biggest consumer toward energy independence.
Net exports — comprising only oil products since the U.S. bans most shipments of crude — totaled 48,000 barrels a day in July, the U.S. Energy Information Administration said in data released Wednesday. A decade ago, the country bought a net 1.3 million barrels of oil from its southern neighbor.
The emergence of the U.S. as a net supplier to Mexico underscores how the growth of the shale industry is redrawing the global energy map. Output from shale rocks pushed U.S. oil production to a three-decade high earlier this year, driving down prices, boosting margins for refiners and fueling a debate over whether the country should lift restrictions on exports of crude.
Refineries in the U.S. Midwest earned $24.50 a barrel in the third quarter to Sept. 23, compared with $20.80 in the preceding quarter and $17.60 a year earlier, according to BP Plc data.
“The refineries are running so hard that they have extra products and that is getting exported, making the U.S. less dependent on imports overall,” said Gareth Lewis-Davis, senior commodity strategist at BNP Paribas SA in London. “More domestic oil means it’s a boon for the economy and less dependence on Middle East oil.”
Read more: Bloomberg
- California Appoints Illegal Alien to Office
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Megyn Kelly Off the Air After Attacking Jane Fonda
- Melania Trump Cuts Pork from First Lady Payroll After Michelle Obama’s Extensive Spending
- Conservative Activists Detained by Airport Police in UK — Preventing Them from Inciting “Hatred”
- Media Bias and Anti-NRA Protests Causes Massive Spike in NRA Membership
- CAUGHT: Trump Sniffs Out Biggest Iranian Spy in White House
- Here Are the Students Not Walking Out of School for Gun-Control
- Young Woman Attacked and Stabbed — Turns the Table on Her Attacker and Gets His Knife
- Watch: DREAMer Goes After Pelosi and Schumer, Thanks Trump Instead
- BREAKING: FBI Files Linking Hillary Clinton to SUICIDE of White House Council Vince Foster Go MISSING
- REPORT: Facebook’s Algorithm Change Boosting Liberals, Silencing Conservatives
- WATCH: Tennessee Students Start Fighting, Tear Down American Flag During Anti-Gun ‘Walkout’ Protest
- One Student SUSPENDED for Not Walking Out During Anti-Gun Protest
- Alert: High School Shooting, One Dead and Multiple Wounded
- Gun-Control Fact Sheet: If There are Any Facts to Refute the Gun-Control Argument, It’s These
- Computer Glitch Mistakenly Releases THOUSANDS of Prisoners too Early in This State
- JOHN PODESTA: The Man Whose Emails Damaged Hillary’s Campaign Says There is Something ‘Deeply Broken’ With the FBI