North Korea‘s highest court sentenced an American tourist to 15 years in prison with hard labor on Wednesday for subversion.
He attempted to steal a propaganda banner from a restricted area of his hotel at the request of an acquaintance who wanted to hang it in her church.
Otto Warmbier, a 21-year-old University of Virginia undergraduate student, was convicted and sentenced in a one-hour trial at the North’s Supreme Court.
He was charged with subversion. No further details were immediately available.
North Korea paraded the student before the media last month in Pyongyang, where he tearfully apologized for attempting to steal the political banner.
He sobbed as he begged for forgiveness for the ‘hostile’ act, claiming the attempted theft, from a staff-only section of the hotel where he had been staying, had been at the behest of a member of a church back home who wanted it as a ‘trophy’.
‘I made the worst mistake of my life,’ the tearful UVA student said at the press conference, which was covered by North Korean and international media, according to CNN.
‘I committed the crime of taking down a political slogan from the staff holding area of the Yanggakdo International Hotel,’ Warmbier said.
‘I apologize to each and every one of the millions of the Korean people and I beg that you see how I was used and manipulated,’ the student’s statement continued.
‘I plead for you to forgive me, not for me, but for my family,’ he added.
According to video seen by CNN, Warmbier bowed his head as he asked for forgiveness.
He said: ‘I never, never should have allowed myself to be lured by the United States administration to commit a crime in this country.
‘I wish that the United States administration never manipulate people like myself in the future to commit crimes against foreign countries.’
‘I entirely beg you, the people and government of [North Korea], for your forgiveness. Please!’
The CIA, an underground organization at the University of Virginia, and a church member in Warmbier’s hometown of Wyoming, Ohio, were all blamed for pressuring the student to commit the crime, CNN reported.
It is unknown whether or not Warmbier was forced to speak at the press conference – but a North Korean official told the station the student called the press conference ‘at his own request.’
However, the insular East Asian nation, whose official name is the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, is known for staging propaganda spectacles in opposition to the United States.
Read more: Daily Mail
- Policewoman Shoots Down 4 Jihadis by Herself — Video Footage Revealed
- Chick Lectures Crowd of White Women: ‘I Believe White People Are Born Into Not Being Human’ [Video]
- NBA Star Charles Barkley Disses Confederate Statue Obsession — Tells Black Community to Focus on These 3 Things Instead
- Arizona Court Rules Guns are Loaded, Even When Empty…
- ALERT: Wasserman Schultz’ ex-IT Aide Now Faces 4-count Indictment
- Artist Projects 3 Messages on Trump Hotel: “The President of the United States is a Known Racist and Nazi Sympathizer”
- If Trump is Responsible for Death at Charlottesville, Then Isn’t Obama Responsible for these 5 Murders?
- Apparently Saint and Little Native American Boy Statue is White Supremacy…
- Steve Bannon Is Out From White House Position — Was He Fired?
- Sharia Law Is Coming To A Neighborhood Near You
- Antifa Protester in Virginia Attacked Journalist — Caused Concussion [Video]
- CBS Discovers the Brutal Reality of Gun Laws During Interview
- Democrat Steve Cohen is Introducing Impeachment Articles for President Trump Over Charlottesville
- Watch: President Trump Issues New Threat to North Korea, ‘Things Will Happen to Them Like They Never Thought Possible’
- 9yr-Old Girl Has Some Mad Crazy Handgun Skills [Video]
- NO LOVE FOR TRUMP: Glenn Beck Calls Trump’s Wife a Lesbian Porn Star in Facebook Rant
- Krauthammer: If You Take Up Arms Against The United States You Have Forfeited Your Rights
- Rosie O’Donnell Apologizes to Tyrant Kim Jong-un for President Trump’s Behavior… [VIDEO]