North Korea‘s highest court sentenced an American tourist to 15 years in prison with hard labor on Wednesday for subversion.
He attempted to steal a propaganda banner from a restricted area of his hotel at the request of an acquaintance who wanted to hang it in her church.
Otto Warmbier, a 21-year-old University of Virginia undergraduate student, was convicted and sentenced in a one-hour trial at the North’s Supreme Court.
He was charged with subversion. No further details were immediately available.
North Korea paraded the student before the media last month in Pyongyang, where he tearfully apologized for attempting to steal the political banner.
He sobbed as he begged for forgiveness for the ‘hostile’ act, claiming the attempted theft, from a staff-only section of the hotel where he had been staying, had been at the behest of a member of a church back home who wanted it as a ‘trophy’.
‘I made the worst mistake of my life,’ the tearful UVA student said at the press conference, which was covered by North Korean and international media, according to CNN.
‘I committed the crime of taking down a political slogan from the staff holding area of the Yanggakdo International Hotel,’ Warmbier said.
‘I apologize to each and every one of the millions of the Korean people and I beg that you see how I was used and manipulated,’ the student’s statement continued.
‘I plead for you to forgive me, not for me, but for my family,’ he added.
According to video seen by CNN, Warmbier bowed his head as he asked for forgiveness.
He said: ‘I never, never should have allowed myself to be lured by the United States administration to commit a crime in this country.
‘I wish that the United States administration never manipulate people like myself in the future to commit crimes against foreign countries.’
‘I entirely beg you, the people and government of [North Korea], for your forgiveness. Please!’
The CIA, an underground organization at the University of Virginia, and a church member in Warmbier’s hometown of Wyoming, Ohio, were all blamed for pressuring the student to commit the crime, CNN reported.
It is unknown whether or not Warmbier was forced to speak at the press conference – but a North Korean official told the station the student called the press conference ‘at his own request.’
However, the insular East Asian nation, whose official name is the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, is known for staging propaganda spectacles in opposition to the United States.
Read more: Daily Mail
- Gun-Control Fact Sheet: If There are Any Facts to Refute the Gun-Control Argument, It’s These
- Gun Controllers Post ‘Kill the NRA’ Billboard — Organization Behind it Will Shock You
- Army Awards Slain JROTC Cadets for Their Heroism During Parkland School Shooting
- No Liberals, America is NOT the Worst Western Country When it Comes to Mass Shootings
- One School has Armed Their Staff with Guns After Florida Shooting — Good Idea?
- CNN’s Chris Cuomo Tries Peddling False Report on Buying an “AR-15 in Five Minutes”
- The Hero Coach Who Saved Dozens of Students by Sacrificing Himself
- Hundreds of Teachers Sign Up for Concealed Carry Class
- REPORT: US was Running Guns Through Benghazi to Syria and Hillary Lied About it Under Oath
- President Trump Hammers #MeToo Movement — Do You Agree With Him?
- ISIS Gives New Meaning to Craigslist Killers, Lures Hostages by…
- CNN Shocked After Iowa Voters Say What They Really Think About Russia Investigation [Watch]
- Watch: Laura Ingraham Tells LeBron James to ‘Shut Up and Dribble’ After His Trump Comment
- Watch: The Horrifying Footage of What Happened Inside School During Florida Massacre
- Hey Ladies: Here is a List of Compact 9mm Concealed Carry Guns that Cost Less Than $600
- WATCH: Bernie Sanders FREAKS When His Gun Policy is Exposed by Chuck Todd
- Parkland High School Student Blames Media for Politicizing the School Shooting, Instead of Focusing on Students Who Lost Their Lives
- WATCH: When This Thug is Caught Messing with This Man’s Wife Things Get Bad Real Quick