Shortly after Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson announced his resignation on Wednesday, NAACP President Cornell William Brooks said he viewed it as “a validation, certainly not a victory.”
“The fact is that the Department of Justice uncovered an unholy trinity between the Ferguson Police Department, the municipal court and city hall. And the fact you have these resignations indicates that these public officials are reacting to the Department of Justice report the way roaches react to light.
“That is to say, they are running for cover. And that’s a good thing, because that department needs to be rebuilt from the bottom up. We need to create a culture of accountability,” Brooks told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer.
The interview took place after Jackson resigned but before two Ferguson police officers were shot and seriously wounded at the end of a Wednesday night protest outside the Ferguson Police Department.
Although the U.S. Justice Department found no “prosecutable conduct on the part of Darren Wilson” in connection with Michael Brown’s death, it did find “a pattern or practice of racial bias” in both the Ferguson Police Department and the municipal court.
Among other problems, the Justice Department said Ferguson’s law enforcement practices “are shaped by the City’s focus on revenue rather than by public safety needs.” Writing tickets for “minor offenses” to generate revenue imposes “particular hardship on Ferguson’s most vulnerable residents,” the report said.
On Wednesday evening, Blitzer noted that five people have now resigned or been forced out of public jobs in Ferguson — the police chief, two police officers, the court clerk and the city manager:
“Is that enough, or do you want more?” Blitzer asked Brooks.
“The mayor needs to resign,” Brooks responded.
“The fact of the matter is, the city manager worked pretty closely with the municipal court judge to impose these fines and in collusion and in collaboration with the police department, all under his watch. The fact of the matter is, we have a municipality that was acting in a rogue fashion.
“The Justice Department report demonstrates pretty clearly that this unholy trinity violated the Constitution, federal statutes, undoubtedly state laws, and preyed upon the citizenry through municipal fines that were confiscatory and discriminatory. We have a police department that engaged in excessive use of force in a racialized way.
Read more: cnsnews.com
- Trump’s Sexual Harassment Accusers Sit Down With Megyn Kelly
- GROSS: Michelle Tells Crowd She’s A Sex Symbol — And It Blows Up In Her Face
- WATCH: Kate Steinle Memorial Ruined by Violent Antifa Protesters
- ‘Definitely Terrorism’: NYC Suicide Bomber Captured Alive [VIDEO]
- ALLAH ADIOS! Muslim Migrants FINALLY Get Deported from US Under Trump Admin
- REPORT: ‘Nasty Woman’ Throws Her Used TAMPON at a Police Officer
- WATCH: Obama Thanks Himself for Trump’s Growing Economy
- Dear Idiot NYT Writer: Here are THREE Provable Instances of Americans Protecting Their Liberty with Guns
- BADASS: Bear Gets Into Bloody Fight With Wolves Over Deer Carcass–And The Winner Was…
- Not So Scary Now: Video Captures ISIS Militants Screaming Like Babies During Battle
- WATCH: Flag Burning Libtards Get The Full Wrath of an American Patriot–Fight Breaks Out
- Shady Lady Elizabeth Warren ‘Forgets’ to Disclose $1.3MIL Line of Credit Given to Her by…
- GROSS: He/She Artist Collects 200 Gallons of Urine to Protest Trump — Demonstrates How [VIDEO]
- House Passes “Concealed Carry Reciprocity” Bill
- WATCH: Sarah Palin Says She’s Never Been Sexually Harassed Because Everyone Knows She Has a…
- ISIS Has Been Defeated
- POLL: Is It Time for Mueller to Resign?
- Watch: Charlize Theron is Making ‘Grown Men Cry’ Fighting Like a Girl for New ‘Atomic Blonde’ Movie