Four Egyptian kids who dared make fun of ISIS in a harmless video are headed for trial along with their teacher on charges of “insulting Islam,” after their Muslim neighbors got hold of the footage and went to police.
Aged between 15 and 16, the youths could face up to five years in a youth detention center – while the teacher would serve any sentence he receives in prison – if the court finds them guilty of violating Egypt’s blasphemy law, Egypt-focused activists say.
Egyptian Christian and civil rights groups are leading calls for their release, but the five – members of the Coptic community that descends from the non-Arab people whose Pharaohs ruled ancient Egypt – have already spent weeks in police holding cells.
“They are some kids who decided to have fun in a private place,” Mina Thabet, a Coptic activist and researcher at the Egyptian Commission for Rights and Freedoms, told FoxNews.com from Cairo.
“They were on a trip with their teacher, but somehow rumor got out that they’d thrown down the Koran, and had insulted Islam, so that led to their arrests.”
The court proceedings are taking place in Beni Mazar, a city in Minya Governorate some 140 miles south of Cairo.
The teacher, Gad Younan, 42, had been escorting the four boys – and a fifth Coptic youth seen in the video – on a faith-based excursion outside their home village of Al-Nasriyah in Minya Governorate.
At some point, the teacher allowed the boys to shoot a video on his cell phone in their hotel room.
Thabet said the 32-second clip – provided exclusively to FoxNews.com – fails to support the rumors about the boys having allegedly insulted Islam. Instead, it shows them mocking ISIS by imitating a beheading – a form of execution that has become one of the terror group’s multiple signature atrocities.
“They use some words that are used in Muslim prayers, but they are in no way being disrespectful to Islam,” said Thabet.
“And even if they were, they should have the right to free speech – but in Egypt we have this law.”
Article 98(f) of the Egyptian Penal Code criminalizes a series of faith-related comments, including “insulting a heavenly religion or a sect following it.”
While ISIS purports to adhere to Islam, it is not clear whether the prosecutors in Egypt had that part of the Penal Code in mind when they accused the youths of blasphemy.
When the boys made the video, the ISIS passion for beheading would be uppermost in their minds because a Libyan affiliate of the terror group recently announced the murder of 21 Christians by releasing a video claiming to show jihadists decapitating the group on a beachfront.
Not only were 20 of the murdered Christians Copts, they also had hailed from the boys’ home governorate of Al Minya, and had been in Libya simply to seek work.
In any event, the video ended up in the hands of the youths’ Al-Nasriyah neighbors after Younan either misplaced his phone’s memory card, or posted it on Facebook, according to a report by the Christian monitoring group World Watch Monitor.
Muslim residents in Al-Nasriyah filed an initial complaint in early April, leading to Younan’s arrest and, says one Coptic newspaper report, questioning over four days.
Read more: Fox News
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- NO LOVE FOR TRUMP: Glenn Beck Calls Trump’s Wife a Lesbian Porn Star in Facebook Rant
- Robert De Niro Exclaims ‘F**k you, Donald Trump’ During Charity Event — Plans to Prevent the President From…
- The Man Obama Rescued: Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl Pleads Guilty to…
- WATCH: Hillary Clinton Greeted by a Swarm of ‘Boos’
- Hillary Collapses in UK — Has Now Cancelled All Scheduled Events
- Awkward: Compilation Video of Celebrities Thanking Harvey Weinstein Goes Viral [WATCH]
- Conceal Carrier Avoids Deadly Armed Robbery With One Quick Move [WATCH]
- WATCH: Nancy Pelosi Goes on Tirade Against Trump’s Executive Order, Busted for Not Reading It [LOL]
- Report: Hillary Might Teach at Columbia — Social Media Explodes With Hilarious Reaction
- ‘Taliban’ Hostages Return Home Revealing Gruesome Details — Reason Why They Were in Afghanistan Still Suspicious [Video]
- Vegas Shooting Survivor: ‘One week I was running from bullets, the next I was running from fire’
- POLL: Conservatives Push to Have Mitch McConnell Resign, Do You Agree With Them?
- Man Teases Bear With Food — Biggest Mistake of His Life
- Gun Grabbing ‘Logic’: Dianne Feinstein Claims Constitution Does NOT Protect Conceal Carry — All 40 Million Americans She Represents Would Never Want a… [VIDEO]
- Hunting Map Reveals to Outdoorsmen and Women the Best Game to Hunt in Every State
- Haitian Official Who Exposed the Clinton Foundation is Found With Gun-Shot to Head
- When the Creatures of WALMART are Photographed…