The president of the University of Missouri has resigned amid student criticism of his handling of racial issues.
Tim Wolfe said Monday at a special meeting of the system’s governing board that he takes ‘full responsibility for the frustration’ students had expressed regarding racial issues and that it ‘is clear’ and ‘real.’
In a brief statement given to the media at the meeting, Wolfe said that his decision to resign came ‘out of love, not hate’ and that he hopes the university can ‘move forward together’.
He asked that his resignation be used as a way for students and staff to come together and tackle the issues.
‘We have to stop yelling and stop intimidating each other,’ he said.
Black student groups have been complaining for months about racial slurs and other slights on the system’s overwhelmingly white flagship campus in Columbia.
One graduate student, Jonathan Butler, even went on a hunger strike, which he ended immediately after the announcement Monday morning.
Butler, whose hunger strike began November 2, appeared weak and unsteady as two people helped him past a human chain and into a sea of celebrants. Many broke into dance at seeing him.
The group’s efforts got a boost over the weekend when 30 black football players announced they wouldn’t participate in team activities until Wolfe was removed.
‘The athletes of color on the University of Missouri football team truly believe “Injustice Anywhere is a threat to Justice Everywhere,”‘ the players said in a statement. ‘We will no longer participate in any football related activities until President Tim Wolfe resigns or is removed due to his negligence toward marginalized students’ experience. WE ARE UNITED!!!!!’
Head football coach Gary Pinkel expressed solidarity on Twitter, posting a picture of the team and coaches locking arms. The tweet said: ‘The Mizzou Family stands as one. We are united. We are behind our players.’
Frustrations flared during a homecoming parade on October 10 when black protesters blocked system President Tim Wolfe’s car and he would not get out and talk to them. They were removed by police.
By Sunday, a campus sit-in had grown in size, graduate student groups planned walk outs and politicians began to weigh in.
The protests began after the student government president, who is black, said in September that people in a passing pickup truck shouted racial slurs at him. In early October, members of a black student organization said slurs were hurled at them by an apparently drunken white student.
Also, a swastika drawn in feces was found recently in a dormitory bathroom.
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- Trump Retaliates After Democrat ‘Fabricated’ Slain Soldier Story — He Has Proof
- WATCH: Slew of Celebrities Ask Americans to ‘Reject’ the NRA, Conceal Carry Do to…
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- 2,800 New Hillary Clinton Emails Recovered Off of Anthony Weiner’s Laptop
- BREAKING: Armed and Dangerous Killer on the Run — At Least 3 Dead
- Hillary Collapses in UK — Has Now Cancelled All Scheduled Events
- CNN Commentator: When it Come to Criticizing NFL Players “White People Don’t Get to…”
- Awkward: Compilation Video of Celebrities Thanking Harvey Weinstein Goes Viral [WATCH]
- World’s Longest Shot Takes 10 Seconds to Wipe Out Target, an ISIS Militant
- Gun Grabbing ‘Logic’: Dianne Feinstein Claims Constitution Does NOT Protect Conceal Carry — All 40 Million Americans She Represents Would Never Want a… [VIDEO]
- Joy Behar Forbids Attacks on Comedians Because ‘We’re Important People Right Now’ [WATCH]
- WATCH: ‘Palestinian Steve Irwin’ Takes on Giant Snake in Hilarious Video
- Watch: Jeff Sessions Goes Bonkers on Sen. Al Franken Over Russia Collusion
- Actress Jessica Chastain: Hollywood Rallies Against Trump, But Ignores ‘Sexual Predators In Our Offices’
- POLL: Conservatives Push to Have Mitch McConnell Resign, Do You Agree With Them?
- Python Swallows Deer Whole in Seconds in Jaw Dropping Video, Or So We Think…
- VIRAL VIDEO: New Trump Video Is MELTING The Internet — You HAVE To See This
- Colin Kaepernick Claims All 32 NFL Teams are ‘Conspiring Against Him’ — Files Grievance