David Cameron has defended the government’s decision to accept 20,000 Syrian refugees by 2020, saying they will get a “warm welcome”.
The PM said there was “no limit” to how many could come in the first year, after Labour said his pledge meant only 4,000 would arrive this year.
Speaking in prime minister’s questions, Mr Cameron said he wanted to “get on with it”.
But he said housing and schools had to be in place before they arrive.
Pressing Mr Cameron over his commitment to re-settle 20,000 Syrian refugees in the UK by 2020, acting Labour leader Harriet Harman urged him to say how many refugees would arrive this year.
She also called on him to accept children who have already arrived in Europe, in addition to those in camps around Syria.
Mr Cameron said: “We have to use our head and our heart.
“We have committed to taking 20,000 people, I want us to get on with that. There is no limit to the amount of people that could come in the first year, let’s get on with it.”
“But”, he added, “let’s recognise we have to go to the camps, we have to find the people, we have to make sure they can be housed, we have to find schools for their children, we have to work with local councils and local voluntary bodies to make sure when these people come they get a warm welcome from Britain”.
Ms Harman insisted a commitment was needed on how many people would arrive in the first year – and called on the PM to come back to Parliament in a month with a figure.
The PM’s spokesman later said it was clear Mr Cameron’s “no limit” comment was within the context of the 20,000 places he has announced.
Mr Cameron was also questioned over the UK drone strike which killed two British Islamic State fighters in Syria.
Read more: BBC
- If Trump is Responsible for Death at Charlottesville, Then Isn’t Obama Responsible for these 5 Murders?
- BREAKING: Terror Attack on Pedestrians, Mowed Down by Van — Terrorist Take Hostages at Gun Point
- Black Hawk Helicopter Downed, 5 Crew Members on Board
- Sharia Law Is Coming To A Neighborhood Near You
- Baltimore Removes All Confederate Statues in Middle of Night
- Woman is Stabbed. Two Unarmed Men Try Saving Her, Get Stabbed. Then Dude With Gun Shows Up…
- Michigan Forces Grandparents to Choose Between Their Guns and Grandchild…
- NO LOVE FOR TRUMP: Glenn Beck Calls Trump’s Wife a Lesbian Porn Star in Facebook Rant
- Report: Forensic Experts say DNC was Never Hacked by Russia, An Insider Did the Job
- Report: Charlottesville’s Neo-Nazi Organizer Was Former Occupy Activist, Supported Obama
- ‘Mad Dog’ Mattis Issues Statement on North Korea That Makes President Trump’s Look Tame
- Congress Demands Trump Fire his ‘White Supremacist’ Advisers
- Cars Plow Through Crowd in Virginia During Protest Clash, Casualty and Injuries Reported
- White House Fact Sheet: How Trump and Sessions Have Combated Lawless Sanctuary Cities
- Obama Breaks Silence–5 Worded Response on Charlotte RIOTS Will Have You Dropping Your Jaw [SHOCKING]
- All the Details Behind Car Attack in Charlottesville are Released, Man Behind Wheel Was… [UPDATE]
- Pastor is Now Demanding Removal of George Washington Statue Because He Owned Slaves…