David Cameron has defended the government’s decision to accept 20,000 Syrian refugees by 2020, saying they will get a “warm welcome”.
The PM said there was “no limit” to how many could come in the first year, after Labour said his pledge meant only 4,000 would arrive this year.
Speaking in prime minister’s questions, Mr Cameron said he wanted to “get on with it”.
But he said housing and schools had to be in place before they arrive.
Pressing Mr Cameron over his commitment to re-settle 20,000 Syrian refugees in the UK by 2020, acting Labour leader Harriet Harman urged him to say how many refugees would arrive this year.
She also called on him to accept children who have already arrived in Europe, in addition to those in camps around Syria.
Mr Cameron said: “We have to use our head and our heart.
“We have committed to taking 20,000 people, I want us to get on with that. There is no limit to the amount of people that could come in the first year, let’s get on with it.”
“But”, he added, “let’s recognise we have to go to the camps, we have to find the people, we have to make sure they can be housed, we have to find schools for their children, we have to work with local councils and local voluntary bodies to make sure when these people come they get a warm welcome from Britain”.
Ms Harman insisted a commitment was needed on how many people would arrive in the first year – and called on the PM to come back to Parliament in a month with a figure.
The PM’s spokesman later said it was clear Mr Cameron’s “no limit” comment was within the context of the 20,000 places he has announced.
Mr Cameron was also questioned over the UK drone strike which killed two British Islamic State fighters in Syria.
Read more: BBC
- WATCH: Slew of Celebrities Ask Americans to ‘Reject’ the NRA, Conceal Carry Do to…
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- 2,800 New Hillary Clinton Emails Recovered Off of Anthony Weiner’s Laptop
- World’s Longest Shot Takes 10 Seconds to Wipe Out Target, an ISIS Militant
- Trump Retaliates After Democrat ‘Fabricated’ Slain Soldier Story — He Has Proof
- Man Who Identifies as a Woman Heads to Trial for Sexually Assaulting Little Girl in Bathroom
- CNN Commentator: When it Come to Criticizing NFL Players “White People Don’t Get to…”
- ICE Reveals Illegal Alien May Have Caused Devastating California Fires
- Joy Behar Forbids Attacks on Comedians Because ‘We’re Important People Right Now’ [WATCH]
- Actress Jessica Chastain: Hollywood Rallies Against Trump, But Ignores ‘Sexual Predators In Our Offices’
- Watch: Jeff Sessions Goes Bonkers on Sen. Al Franken Over Russia Collusion
- Python Swallows Deer Whole in Seconds in Jaw Dropping Video, Or So We Think…
- Hillary Collapses in UK — Has Now Cancelled All Scheduled Events
- BREAKING: Armed and Dangerous Killer on the Run — At Least 3 Dead
- Sean Diddy Combs Tweets NFL ‘I… Have a Dream’ Message — Far From Martin Luther King Jr.’s Speech
- Muslim Woman Linda Sarsour Shouts: ‘Muslims Should Not Assimilate’ – Fighting Trump ‘Form of Jihad’ [Watch]
- Man Teases Bear With Food — Biggest Mistake of His Life
- POLL: Conservatives Push to Have Mitch McConnell Resign, Do You Agree With Them?