David Cameron has defended the government’s decision to accept 20,000 Syrian refugees by 2020, saying they will get a “warm welcome”.
The PM said there was “no limit” to how many could come in the first year, after Labour said his pledge meant only 4,000 would arrive this year.
Speaking in prime minister’s questions, Mr Cameron said he wanted to “get on with it”.
But he said housing and schools had to be in place before they arrive.
Pressing Mr Cameron over his commitment to re-settle 20,000 Syrian refugees in the UK by 2020, acting Labour leader Harriet Harman urged him to say how many refugees would arrive this year.
She also called on him to accept children who have already arrived in Europe, in addition to those in camps around Syria.
Mr Cameron said: “We have to use our head and our heart.
“We have committed to taking 20,000 people, I want us to get on with that. There is no limit to the amount of people that could come in the first year, let’s get on with it.”
“But”, he added, “let’s recognise we have to go to the camps, we have to find the people, we have to make sure they can be housed, we have to find schools for their children, we have to work with local councils and local voluntary bodies to make sure when these people come they get a warm welcome from Britain”.
Ms Harman insisted a commitment was needed on how many people would arrive in the first year – and called on the PM to come back to Parliament in a month with a figure.
The PM’s spokesman later said it was clear Mr Cameron’s “no limit” comment was within the context of the 20,000 places he has announced.
Mr Cameron was also questioned over the UK drone strike which killed two British Islamic State fighters in Syria.
Read more: BBC
- Young Woman Attacked and Stabbed — Turns the Table on Her Attacker and Gets His Knife
- REPORT: Facebook’s Algorithm Change Boosting Liberals, Silencing Conservatives
- WINNING! California FORCED to Return 500+ Guns to Dealer After Seizing Them For…
- WATCH: Tennessee Students Start Fighting, Tear Down American Flag During Anti-Gun ‘Walkout’ Protest
- Student David Hogg Demands People ‘Work Together’, But Calls the NRA ‘Child Murderers’
- Couple Caught Sexually Abusing Their Kids and Family Dog
- Parkland High School: Broward County Sheriff Captain Who Ordered Officers to Secure “Perimeter” Identified
- Poll: Should NFL Fans Get a Refund if Players Kneel During Anthem?
- REPORT: US was Running Guns Through Benghazi to Syria and Hillary Lied About it Under Oath
- Second Amendment Group Has Surge of Membership at 1200% for 18-20 Year-Olds
- WATCH: Katy Perry Forces Kiss on American Idol Contestant, is He a #MeToo Victim?
- One Student SUSPENDED for Not Walking Out During Anti-Gun Protest
- PRO GUN WIN: See How this Judge Just Changed the Game for Gun Owners
- Dear Idiot NYT Writer: Here are THREE Provable Instances of Americans Protecting Their Liberty with Guns
- Haitian Official Who Exposed the Clinton Foundation is Found With Gun-Shot to Head
- Dropped: Charges Against the Bundy Family are Dismissed
- Tinder Date Turns to Homicide: ‘Mama’s Boy’ Dismembers Woman’s Body
- DOJ Unleashes More Documents on Operation Fast & Furious