Afghan women and girls accused of so-called moral crimes are often forced to endure invasive and scientifically questionable “virginity tests” by government doctors, according to human rights advocates.
Improving the lives and rights of women remains a major challenge in Afghanistan nearly 15 years after a U.S.-backed military campaign ousted the Taliban’s hardline Islamist regime.
Of 53 woman and girls interviewed in a dozen provinces across Afghanistan, 48 said they had been subject to compulsory gynecological exams by government officials after being accused of adultery or escaping from home, investigators for Afghanistan’s Independent Human Rights Commision found in a study conducted last year.
The study’s findings were publicized by Human Rights Watch on Monday.
Read more: Yahoo News
- Gun-Control Fact Sheet: If There are Any Facts to Refute the Gun-Control Argument, It’s These
- No Liberals, America is NOT the Worst Western Country When it Comes to Mass Shootings
- Gun Controllers Post ‘Kill the NRA’ Billboard — Organization Behind it Will Shock You
- One School has Armed Their Staff with Guns After Florida Shooting — Good Idea?
- Army Awards Slain JROTC Cadets for Their Heroism During Parkland School Shooting
- Hundreds of Teachers Sign Up for Concealed Carry Class
- CNN’s Chris Cuomo Tries Peddling False Report on Buying an “AR-15 in Five Minutes”
- Billy Graham’s Final Message to the World Before He Passed Away
- The Hero Coach Who Saved Dozens of Students by Sacrificing Himself
- ISIS Gives New Meaning to Craigslist Killers, Lures Hostages by…
- CNN Shocked After Iowa Voters Say What They Really Think About Russia Investigation [Watch]
- Watch: Laura Ingraham Tells LeBron James to ‘Shut Up and Dribble’ After His Trump Comment
- Watch: The Horrifying Footage of What Happened Inside School During Florida Massacre
- Parkland High School Student Blames Media for Politicizing the School Shooting, Instead of Focusing on Students Who Lost Their Lives
- WATCH: When This Thug is Caught Messing with This Man’s Wife Things Get Bad Real Quick
- WATCH: Classmate of Nikolas Cruz Reported Him Multiple Times and Claims ‘He talked about killing our friends’