A Saudi prisoner at Guantanamo who waged a hunger strike for years to protest his confinement has been released from the U.S. base at Cuba, the Pentagon said Tuesday.
Abdul Shalabi was sent back to Saudi Arabia, where he was expected to take part in a rehabilitation program for militants.
His release, the second this month, brings the prisoner population at Guantanamo to 114, including 52 who have been approved for transfer.
Shalabi, 39, was among the first prisoners brought to Guantanamo in January 2002. The U.S. said he had been a bodyguard to Osama bin Laden and an associate of other senior al-Qaida figures, including Khalid Sheik Mohammed. He was never charged with a crime.
Read more: Fox News