The White House took off the gloves today as it addressed Donald Trump‘s proposal to ban Muslims from coming to the country, taking shots at the businessman’s appearance and accusing him of ‘vacuous sloganeering’ and ‘outright lies.’
In a string of insults directed at the GOP front runner scattered throughout his daily briefing with reporters, Press Secretary Josh Earnest described Trump’s rhetoric as ‘offensive bluster’ and claimed he has ‘fake hair.’
Pushed to defend the unusually pithy personal attack on Trump’s blonde mane, Earnest said, ‘he’s got a rather outrageous appearance.’
The White House spokesman spent much of his briefing on Tuesday answering questions about Trump and his plan to temporarily ban non-American Muslims from entering the the United States, and he didn’t pull any punches in his responses.
Asked about the Republican contender’s plan early on, Earnest read off a prepared statement aggressively knocking him.
‘Let me just step back and say that the Trump campaign for months now has had a dustbin-of-history-like quality to it. From the vacuous sloganeering to the outright lies, to even the fake hair, the whole carnival barker routine that we’ve seen for some time now.’
The president’s spokesman said not only is Trump’s rhetoric ‘offensive,’ it ‘disqualifies him from serving as president.’
And it exempts any other Republican candidates for the Oval Office, too, who doesn’t go back on their oath to support him if he wins the GOP nomination, he said.
‘That in and of itself is disqualifying.’
Many of Trump’s competitors derided his proposition within hours of its release on Monday. Earnest said that it wasn’t good enough, though.
‘Those comments don’t mean that much if they’re going to go ahead and vote for him,’ he said.
Republicans must decide whether ‘they’re going to be dragged into the dustbin of history with him,’ the administration official said.
The White House wants candidates to definitively state that they would not back Trump in a general election scenario.
‘They should say right now that they would not support Donald Trump for president. What he said is disqualifying and any Republican who’s too fearful of the Republican base to admit it, has no business serving as president either,’ Earnest proclaimed.
DailyMail.com reached out to several 2016 Republicans to see if they still plan to support Trump, should he win the GOP’s nomination.
The White House has made a point of refraining from comment on many of the 2016 candidates’ charges, even when they invoke the president.
Earnest has said numerous times that if he responded to all of the GOP’s eye-brow raising comments, he’d spend his entire briefing talking about the Oval Office competition instead of the president’s agenda.
But the White House official hit his limit after Trump’s Muslim-banning proposal.
‘I think many people have observed something materially different about his comments from last night,’ Earnest said, explaining the shift in approach.
As for his rip on the billionaire’s hair, Earnest said, ‘I guess I was describing why it would be easy for people to dismiss the Trump campaign as not particularly serious.’
‘Because of his hair?’ asked the reporter pursuing the issue.
‘Because he’s got a rather outrageous appearance. But that’s a hallmark of his campaign and his identity, though. That’s the point I’m trying to cite there.’
After another member of the White House press corps asked Earnest how he knows Trump’s hair is fake, the White House official said, ‘I guess I’m happy to be fact-checked.’
Trump has said on multiple occasions that his hair is indeed real, and has tugged on it publicly to prove it.
‘They attack my hair. It’s mine,’ Trump said during a 2014 National Press Club appearance while yanking it from his head. ‘Would anybody like to inspect?’
The most senior Republican leader also rebuked Donald Trump today over the call to bar Muslims from entering the US.
House Speaker Paul Ryan broke a self-imposed silence on the race for his party’s presidential candidacy to condemn the Republican front-runner‘s plea saying it was ‘not what this party stands for and more importantly it’s not what this country stands for’.
Ryan spoke hours after a defiant Trump doubled down in a series of morning television show interviews, saying the country was ‘at war’ and could not afford another 9/11.
The Republican presidential hopeful phoned three networks to defend his proposal – and claimed he was making ‘making us look strong’.
He said that his plan to indefinitely ban Muslim entry is necessary to prevent another attack on the homeland and rejected comparisons to Hitler.
‘We are now at war,’ he said on Good Morning America. ‘We have a president that doesn’t want to say that, but we are now at war.’
And he said his proposal was little different than Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s executive orders after the bombing of Pearl Harbor that put restrictions on migrants from enemy countries, mainly Japan.
‘This is a president highly respected by all, he did the same thing,’ Trump told GMA’s George Stephanopoulos. ‘If you look at what he was doing, it was far worse.’
Thousands of Japanese-Americans spent the war in internment camps. Trump said he wasn’t going that far, though.
Read more: Daily Mail
- POLL: Does President Trump Need to Apologize to Gold Star Widow Myeshia Johnson?
- UNLEASHED: Jimmy Carter Goes After Hillary, Obama & Russia Scandal — Says Trump is…
- GROSS: He/She Artist Collects 200 Gallons of Urine to Protest Trump — Demonstrates How [VIDEO]
- Disturbing: Grieving Husband Finds Nurse ‘Maintaining Relations’ with His Wife’s Corpse
- After Democrat Attacks Trump, Soldier’s Widow Releases Audio of Phone Call [WATCH]
- WATCH: Jesse Jackson Compares Playing for NFL & NBA to ‘Picking Cotton’
- NBC Gun “Expert” Caught LYING — Was This An Intentional Move To Push Gun Control?
- National Park Service to Give Big Money for Black Panther Monument, Even Though Organization Killed NPS Officer
- WATCH: ‘Palestinian Steve Irwin’ Takes on Giant Snake in Hilarious Video
- WAR ON SPEECH CONTINUES: Conservative Commentator PEPPER SPRAYED At NYU — Professor Says Cops Should BEAT Up ‘Neo-Nazis’
- 20yr-Old Chick Draws Gun on Man Who Ran Over Her Family Members at Funeral
- Robert De Niro Exclaims ‘F**k you, Donald Trump’ During Charity Event — Plans to Prevent the President From…
- For Those of You Who Thought Trump Bankrupted the Secret Service, Here is the Real Story…
- Melania Trump Cuts Pork from First Lady Payroll After Michelle Obama’s Extensive Spending
- Michelle Obama Claims People Don’t Like Her Because of ‘Her Skin Color’
- ‘Mad Dog’ Mattis Issues Statement on North Korea That Makes President Trump’s Look Tame