The White House is looking at steps the president can take to reduce gun violence – including executive actions.
An Obama administration official told DailyMail.com today that the president is not ruling out an executive order to require universal background checks or introduce other new measures – but nothing is currently in the works, either.
The president’s team is still reviewing its legal options, White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest said today.
Cutting down on firearm-related foul play ‘is a high priority and will continue to be until we start to see some more progress,’ he said.
Obama said Friday that he had asked his team to take another look at the laws that are currently on the books and ‘scrub what kind of authorities’ he has ‘to enforce the laws that we have in place more effectively to keep guns out of the hands of criminals.’
Beyond that, the White House said today that he would continue to use his ‘bully pulpit’ to talk about violent crimes.
‘I don’t have a lot of details to provide you in terms of the work that’s being done by his team on the scrub, ‘Earnest said today, but if the group comes up with proposals the president likes, he’ll put them before the public.
Obama has directed a team of experts to look for ways he can act, independently of Congress before. In January of 2013, he announced 23 executive actions he was taking in the wake of the Newtown, Connecticut, school shooting.
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- Report: California Just Made it Legal for Illegal Immigrants to Vote
- Hijab-Wearing Woman Becomes New Hair Model for L’Oreal. We Aren’t Joking. [Watch]
- Watch: CNN Does Its Job and Corrects Fake News Democrats
- LOL: Trump Thanks Democrats for Shutting Down the Government on His One Year Presidential Anniversary
- Watch: Security Footage Captures Dramatic Shoot-Out Between Cops and Armed Robbers
- Oakland Mayor Vows to Go to Jail to Protect Sanctuary City
- Pedophile Imprisoned for Sexually Abusing Young Boy is Found Dead in Jail
- Victory: Democrats Give in to GOP, Abandon the “Schumer Shutdown”
- Savage: Dude Explains Feminism in 2017, ‘You’re a Man. Everything a Man Does is…’ [Video]
- Three Thugs Were Just Arrested for Stealing Guns in Baton Rouge–Posed ‘Credible Threat’ to Harm Police…
- Pope Francis Claims Migrants’ Rights Overrule Importance of National Security
- For Those of You Who Thought Trump Bankrupted the Secret Service, Here is the Real Story…
- ALERT: Intel Officer Claims Obama Would be First Former President to be Charged with a FELONY if…
- Photo Gallery
- Trump Rioters During Inauguration Day Find Out What “Justice” Means
- RECRUITERS TOLD NOT TO WEAR UNIFORMS: This Soldier Thinks That’s Bullsh-t
- Tragic: Young Boy Attempting to Save Paralyzed Father from Fire Dies
- Harpy Feminist Cries Dunkirk is too ‘Manly’