What started as a “lone wolf” attack has turned into a terrorist ring.
A 19-year-old was arrested in connection to the Manchester attack.
With this last arrest, a total of 15 people have been taken into custody for their connections to the bombing. Two have been released without charges, 12 are still in custody.
A resident said on Twitter that an explosion had occurred near Quantock Close and Selworth Road shortly before 2pm.
Stephen Cawley, 59, told MailOnline that two brothers were taken to the back of a police van.
“We were in the kitchen cooking the Sunday meal and I heard a loud bang. I looked out the front door and there were armed police and the army in the front and back garden.
“It was really loud. I thought it was a bomb but I believe it was a flash grenade. It was so loud that to be honest it sounded like a bomb.
“There were about 12 army – six in the front garden and six in the back – and at least 50 police officers. Some were armed and some weren’t – they’re still searching the house. It’s scary, you don’t expect it in your street. It’s frightening times at the moment. Everybody’s got to be vigilant and keep their eyes open.
“When one of them was arrested he was screaming that they were hurting him. They don’t exactly mollycoddle you when they put the handcuffs on so he had his arms stuck on his back. The other two were just calm – they were smiling and talking. They seemed fine.
“The family has lived there about 10 years. The mother and father are very nice. They have four boys and a girl – police arrested the three eldest lads but one has been de-arrested and let go. He’s got a bit of a mouth at times. You know what all teenagers are like, they don’t like being told what to do, they don’t like taking any notice of authority.
“They’re very polite, the lads, they never give me any problems. I’m surprised, I don’t know whether they’ve got information passed on to them if these are people of interest but I wouldn’t class them as terrorists.”
The loud bang is believed to have been a controlled explosion. The house that was raided is close to the Fade Away barber shop run by Abedi’s cousin Abdallah Forjani and one of the first men to be arrested.
Here is a recap on the arrests so far:
A total of 15 people are in detention in Britain and Libya over Monday’s suicide bombing.
A teenage boy and a woman arrested by British police this week have since been released without charge, leaving 12 in British custody who were arrested ‘on suspicion of offences contrary to the terrorism act’.
In Libya, the father and brother of the bomber, Salman Abedi, are also in detention.
Abedi reportedly returned from Libya only a few days before the attack which killed 22 people, including seven children under 18, but police are still trying to establish the extent of his wider network.
Here are the details of the arrests so far:
- Police arrest Abedi’s older brother Ismael in the Chorlton area of south Manchester near where Abedi is believed to have lived.
- Police arrest three more men in south Manchester aged 18, 21 and 24, a short walk from the house where Abedi lived.
- An 18-year-old man, who police said was carrying a suspect package, is arrested in Wigan, a town near Manchester. No further details were given about him.
- Another man, 22, is arrested in the town of Nuneaton in central England, widening the British police probe beyond areas in and around Manchester.
- Libya’s Deterrence Force, which acts as the police of the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord, arrests Abedi’s father Ramadan, adding that it had already arrested his brother Hashem on Tuesday.
- In Manchester, a 34-year-old woman is arrested by police in an apartment block in Blackley, in the north of the city. She is later released without charge.
- A 16-year-old boy is arrested in Withington, south Manchester. He is later released without charge.
- A 38-year-old man is arrested in Blackley.
- A 30-year-old man is arrested in Moss Side, an area of Manchester which has been associated with social deprivation and gangs.
- A 44-year-old man is arrested in Rusholme, in the south of the city.
- Two men aged 20 and 22 are arrested following a raid, involving a controlled explosion, at an address in Cheatham Hill, north Manchester.
- A 25-year-old man is arrested in Old Trafford, to the east of the city
- A 19-year-old man is arrested in the Gorton area of Manchester
Despite all these attacks, Manchester has stayed strong. Tens of thousands of defiant runners turned out for the Great Manchester Run.
Officers armed with assault rifles surrounded the course, protecting runners and spectators.
A moment of silence was held before the race started.
Police aren’t playing around. They are determined to find every last person involved in this horrific crime.
They are determined to stop others like it from happening.
But is it too late? The amount of jihadists in the country is higher than anyone could imagine. There is a lot of work ahead.