Baltimore Removes All Confederate Statues in Middle of Night

City leaders of Baltimore collectively worked together to secretly remove Confederate statues in the middle of the night. Heavy machinery was used to load the monuments onto flat-bed trucks by work crews, who took them to an undisclosed location.

The city’s mayor, Catherine Pugh, made a promise to remove all four statues in the city that are linked to the Confederacy. She did made the vow after Baltimore’s City Council unanimously passed a resolution to remove them.

No one knew when it was going to occur or how she planed on doing it– until now.

According to the Federalist Papers: After protests and counter-protests that turned deadly in Charlottesville, Va, Saturday, over the removal of a Gen. Robert E. Lee statue, city officials must have thought quietly and quickly taking them down in the middle of the night was the wisest move.

Trending: New York Lawmakers Want Social Media Checks Before You Can Buy A Gun

The Baltimore Sun reports that city crews began their work at 11:30 p.m. Tuesday night and were finished before daybreak at 5:30 Wednesday morning.

“It’s done,” she said Wednesday morning. “They needed to come down. My concern is for the safety and security of our people. We moved as quickly as we could.”

Mayor Pugh personally watched as the monuments were taken down. She said she was surprised that more wasn’t done to get rid of the statues before she took office. She said they’re in an undisclosed location and she doesn’t know what will happen to them now. Her biggest concern, she says, is to avoid violent conflicts like what happened in Charlottesville.

“I did not want to endanger people in my own city,” she said. “I had begun discussions with contractors and so forth about how long it would take to remove them. I am a responsible person, so we moved as quickly as we could.”

Tuesday, leftists threatened to tear ‘down one of the statues themselves if the city didn’t act quickly. So the city complied.,’ reports FP.

Television news crews and a handful of police officers milled about at the Robert E. Lee & “Stonewall” Jackson Monument at Wyman Park Dell near Johns Hopkins University as the sun came up.

Derek Bowden came from home, minutes away in Guilford, to take pictures of what was left of the Lee & Jackson Memorial, a vandalized stone platform devoid of the two generals.

He agreed with the city’s decision, but said racism and white privilege run deeper than could be addressed solely by the removal of a few statues.

“It’s major in it’s own right, but it’s small when it comes to the bigger battle,” the 59-year-old photographer said. “It’s a bigger battle. This is a small victory. There’s a larger issue we have to look at, with being Americans and upholding the Constitution, … to protect all people.”

The other listed monument that were removed are: the Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Monument, the Confederate Women’s Monument and the Roger B. Taney Monument.


Join the conversation!

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, vulgarity, profanity, all caps, or discourteous behavior. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain a courteous and useful public environment where we can engage in reasonable discourse.