Still a good idea to freely let refugees in, Merkel? Looks like your plans are backfiring big time.
Police are questioning three people after explosives were found hidden in an apartment officers raided in connection with a Syrian man suspected of planning a bomb attack on a German airport.
The manhunt for prime suspect 22-year-old Jaber Albakr, from Damascus is still ongoing after officers swarmed an apartment block at lunchtime and locked down the area.
Two of the three people arrested knew Albakr, who is understood to have been under police surveillance, and are in custody in eastern city of Chemnitz.
A third suspect is being questioned near the train station in the city, where a bomb disposal robot has removed a red suitcase from the platform.
At lunchtime, the German city was swarming with armed police hunting Albakr – a Syrian who was under surveillance by the Federal Office for Constitutional Protection in Cologne, say reports.
He is suspected of plotting a bomb attack on a German airport, according to Online Focus.
It is understood the suspect entered Germany last year with refugees from Syria.
Residents have been ordered to remain indoors as large-scale closures and evacuations take place in the city and the suspect remains at large.
Pictures of an arrested man being taken away by police were released a few hours after the manhunt began.
Residents have been ordered to remain indoors and mass evacuations have taken place across the city.
Officers surrounded a home in the Fritz-Heckert area of Chemnitz and the force said it was dealing with a ‘static threat’.
The police force, Polizei Sachsen, said they are currently involved in a large-scale operation in Chemnitzon suspicion of someone preparing a bomb attack.
It has been reported a controlled explosion was carried out at the flat.
They said the suspect had not been found and that major closures and evacuations would be necessary as he was dangerous.
A statement said: ‘The search for the suspect is ongoing.
‘Currently, however, we do not know where he is and what or what he carries with him.
The force added: ‘Please stay within the enclosed area in your homes and observe the instructions of the police here and in the field.’
Video footage obtained by MailOnline shows an enormous police presence with officers directing traffic away from the scene.
Tom Bernhardt, spokesman for the state criminal police in Saxony, said officers had acted on intelligence it received last night and that their actions foiled a ‘serious threat’.
He added: ‘We must assume that the person is dangerous.’
Armed officers forced their way into a flat in the first raid, causing a loud bang.
Tom Bernhardt, spokesman for the state criminal police in Saxony,
Armed officers forced their way into a flat in the raid, causing a loud bang.Video footage obtained by MailOnline shows an enormous police presence with
Officials earlier said it would not speculate on claims they were dealing with a hostage situation.
— Polizei Sachsen (@PolizeiSachsen) October 8, 2016