London has been hit again with a crazed driver smashing into people. This time however, authorities are saying it’s not terrorism.
Five people have been injured due to the altercation, all between the ages of 23 and 42.
So far the Metropolitan Police have confirmed the injured people were all pedestrians and everyone in the vehicle were completely fine. A spokesman for the police said that there have been no arrests made.
Via the Daily Mail: Police believe the incident took place after an ‘altercation’ between the occupants of the car and a number of pedestrians.
A number of occupants made off on foot and abandoned the VW Golf, which appears to have been rented from the hire company Ubeeqo.
The busy South London road, which is near to a number of bars, nightclubs and restaurants, remains closed.
Footage posted on social media from the scene appears to show glass scattered across the floor and lampposts which had been knocked over into the road.
A spokesman said: ‘Police were called at approximately 03:00hrs on Saturday, 2 December to reports of a car in collision with a number of pedestrians in Stockwell Road, near the junction of Sidney Street, SW9.
‘This is not being treated as a terrorist incident.’
‘Five people are reported to have suffered injuries – of these, two are described as having critical injuries.”
‘Officers and London Ambulance Service are on scene.’
‘Five people are reported to have suffered injuries – of these, two are described as having critical injuries.’
So what do you think? Is this an incident of road rage or are the authorities trying to downplay what was a terrorist attack?
Give us your thoughts below.