Meet the ISIS Suicide Bomber Who Was Paid $1.25 MILLION in Compensation By U.K. Government Because He…

Well, that money, taxpayers money, went right back into promoting terrorism. Good job Tony Blair, that’s an investment your country won’t forget. And we have a feeling you won’t either…

A British ISIS suicide bomber has been revealed as a former Guantanamo prisoner who was handed the equivalent of $1.25million in British taxpayers’ money as compensation before fleeing to Syria.

UK national Jamal Udeen al-Harith was photographed moments before blowing himself up in an attack on a military facility near Mosul in Iraq.

The Muslim convert – who changed his name from Ronald Fiddler in 1994 – was sent to Guantanamo Bay in 2002 after he was caught by American forces in Afghanistan.

After intense campaigning by Tony Blair’s government led by then-Home Secretary David Blunkett, the British citizen was freed two years later.

He launched a compensation claim on the grounds British agents knew or were complicit in his mistreatment and was handed £1million ($1.25million) in reparations.

Shortly after detonating the explosive-laden car near an army base this month, ISIS released a statement revealing al-Harith had been fighting for them under the name Abu Zakariya al-Britani.

Al-Harith, however, previously denied being a terrorist and claimed to have been taken prisoner by the Taliban after visiting the Middle East as part of a ‘religious holiday’.

At the time of his release from Guantanamo, Blunkett said: ‘No one who is returned… will actually be a threat to the security of the British people.’

But it emerged that, despite security services being fully aware of his previous detention, al-Harith, who worked as a web designer for a time, was able to escape the UK in 2014 to fight with ISIS in Syria, leading to his eventual death.

ISIS claim his suicide attack, during a raging battle for control of the city, caused multiple casualties but this has not been confirmed.

After his release from Guantanamo, al-Harith spoke of the treatment he received at the hands of the guards.

Speaking in 2004, he told the Mirror: ‘The whole point… was to get to you psychologically.

‘The beatings were not nearly as bad as the psychological torture – bruises heal after a week but the other stuff stays with you.

‘After a while, we stopped asking for human rights – we wanted animal rights.’

He said he was interviewed upwards of 40 times by American officials – sometimes to 12 hours at a time – and nine times by British agents.

He was finally released with five others and alongside the three men known as the Tipton Three – Rhuhel Ahmed, Asif Iqbal and Shafiq Rasul.

Leon Jameson, Harith’s brother, told the Times he had ‘wasted his life’. Shown his picture, he said: ‘It is him, I can tell by his smile. If it is true then I’ve lost a brother, so another family (member) gone.’

His journey was revealed following an escape from ISIS-controlled Syria in 2015 by British mother Shukee Begum and her five children.

Miss Begum was married to al-Harith before he left the family home in Birmingham to fight in Syria, and had flown to the war-torn country to try to persuade the fanatic to return to the UK.

However, her attempts failed, and she endured a ten-month ordeal being passed between hostages and rebel groups as she tried to escape.

In 2015, she told Channel 4: ‘I’d love to go back to the UK. The UK is my home. I grew up there. My friends are there. My family are there. That’s where I consider to be home.

‘But I’m just not sure at the moment, with the track record of the current government, if the UK is somewhere I can achieve justice. I hope I’m wrong.’

At the time, she said she was biding her time before returning to Britain because she fears she could face terrorism charges.

Ms Begum, a law graduate from Greater Manchester, insists she did not support the extremists, and says she wanted to persuade al-Harith to return to the family home.

She told Channel 4 News: ‘I was thinking about the children’s futures. Was he part of it? Will he come back? All these things go through your mind.’

She added: ‘I was seeing on the news at this point that Isis was going from bad to worse… So I decided that I was going to try and speak some sense into him.

‘At the same time I wanted to see him. I wanted the children to see their father. I wanted the baby to meet his father as well.’

After arriving in Syria, Ms Begum ended up living in a crowded safe-house in the ISIS stronghold of Raqqa, along with dozens of other foreign women looking for their husbands.

Eventually, Ms Begum and her children were reunited with al-Harith, and the family moved to a house near al-Bab in northern Syria.

But her planned to bring him home failed as she could not convince him to leave.


Join the conversation!

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, vulgarity, profanity, all caps, or discourteous behavior. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain a courteous and useful public environment where we can engage in reasonable discourse.