Saturday morning President Trump tweeted that he would be releasing thousands of classified documents on the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.
The move has been delayed for years and will mean the National Archives will open these files to the public for the first time ever, on Oct. 26.
Subject to the receipt of further information, I will be allowing, as President, the long blocked and classified JFK FILES to be opened.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 21, 2017
Back in 1992, Congress made a mandate that all documents relating to the assassination of JFK would be released in 25 years; however, the intel would stay private if the president saw that the disclosure would “harm intelligence, law enforcement, military operations or foreign relations. The still-secret documents include more than 3,000 that have never been seen by the public and more than 30,000 that have been released previously, but with redactions,” reports CBS.
Scholars are very interested to see what the new information will reveal. Many believe they will shed some light into Lee Harvey Oswald’s trip to Mexico City, prior to the assassination, “during which he visited the Soviet and Cuban embassies,” the CBS report continued.
According to the Warrne Commission — a group of investigators started by President Lyndon B. Johnson — the assassin claimed he went to the embassies to get visas to enter Cuba and the Soviet Union; however much information of Oswald’s trip remains unknown.
“Among the protected information up for release is details about the arrangements the U.S. entered into with the Mexican government that allowed it to have close surveillance of those and other embassies, said Tunheim, a federal judge in Minnesota,” said CBS.
Rex Bradford, president of Mary Ferrel Foundation, said experts on the matter are hoping to see a complete report of Oswald’s Mexico City trip as recorded by House committee staffers, whom investigated the assassination.